17 x 23 ½ inches, Very slight reinforced fold wear, mended split at insertion point, original embossed covers separate, but present; else excellent condition.
Very rare. Green Bay, Wisconsin's seminal map, Ellis' plan shows the town as it was originally laid out, extending from the Fox River east to present North Irwin Avenue, and from Walnut Street north to present Eastman Street. All the surveyed blocks are divided into numbered lots, with two public squares. Shown on the opposite bank of the Fox River is Fort Howard, established in 1816, and finally abandoned in 1853. There is an inset in the upper left corner showing the environs of Navarino. Immediately south of which, John Jacob Astor’s agent, James Duane Doty, platted the village of Astor. The rival villages consolidated in 1839 into the Borough of Green Bay, whose core and later central business district occupied the site of the former Navarino.
The New England trader, Daniel Whitney, visited Green Bay as early as 1816 and quickly began to supply residents with goods brought in by boat. In 1829 he purchased a tract of land at the confluence of the Fox and Devil or Manitou (East) Rivers from the heirs of Pierre Langevin, who had established himself in the area as early as 1763. The location opposite Fort Howard was advantageous for trade, and Whitney had the town laid out in 1836. He called it Navarino, in honor of the Greek seaport, site of the then recent battle for Greek independence. The village of Navarino is important in the history of Wisconsin. It was there that the first mercantile establishments in the Fox Valley were located. The first newspaper in the Old Northwest, The Green Bay Intelligencer, began printing on the site in 1830. Also, the only land office west of Detroit was in Navarino, and every major industry in the Territory of Wisconsin (fur trading, land speculation, lumbering, transportation and manufacturing) was centered or born there due to Daniel Whitney’s efforts.
Not in Decker, Eberstadt, Graff, Phillips, Maps, or Streeter Sale. OCLC locates just one copy (Newberry Library); an additional copy has been found in a private American collection.