14 3/4 x 20 3/4 inches, Woodcut with fine hand color both sides of sheet; usual centerfold mends, else excellent condition.
A richly colored, very early view of Krakow, highlighting prominent features of the city’s landscape that would be dramatically changed over time. The Vistula River, bordering the city, is shown crossed by an array of bridges, as is the Dietla, which is now a street but was once a tributary river to the Vistula. The many bridges connect the main city with the district of Kazimierz (Casmirus on the map), at the time an island and a town in its own right. Founded in the 13th century, Kazimierz became the Jewish quarter of the city and remained so until 1939. On the verso, also finely colored, are a partial view of Lubeck and a portrait of St. Stanislaus.